Thursday, June 7, 2007

Consumed "A War For Your Worship"

June 6, 2007

ConsumedCDFronat.jpg

Last night we started a brand new series called "Consumed." We had the Junior High join us for this one.

It's all about how worship isn't just singing. It's a lifestyle.

Really worship is the only reasonable response to who God is and what He has done for us.

Here's the video that kicked off the night.

Consumed

Add to My Profile | More Videos

Last night we answered the question "What is the one thing that God desires from us that we can freely give, or withhold?"

Our Worship.

There has been a war for our worship before the world was ever created.
When Satan said this;

I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly…I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ Isaiah 14:13-14

Lucifer wants himself to be worshiped, Jesus wants the Father to be worshiped


Here is some of the points we made

1) You are a worshipper
It's where ever you spend your thoughts, your time, your money, or basically whatever you value most in life.

But God has something to say about that….

You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself idols…You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God.’ Exodus 20:3-5

2) You will become like what you worship

But their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men…Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them. Psalm 115:4, 8

Then we talked about the "3 most important players" in a corporate worship setting.

- The Audience

- The Performer

- The Director

These three things are so commonly given all the attention. But it's way off isn't it?

- there’s only one audience, an audience of ONE

I’m gonna argue that most of us haven’t started there

Example:

- If I have a meeting with a really important person, I show up on time

o In fact I’m probably early

- If I’m going to a movie that I want to see, I’m probably there early if I can be

- If I am going to that meeting, I’m probably going to bring my “A game” to the meeting.

“Some people don’t like the kind of worship here”

“I don’t like the worship”… well that’s a dangerous statement, since you’re not the audience.

So how do we learn how to worship?

So we answer this question…

WHO IS GOD AND WHAT HAS HE DONE?

For me.

“He’s the creator and sustainer of the universe, he knew my weaknesses, I was born at this moment because he knew my gifts would be best used at this time…. And what did I do? I turned my back on him, I became a pathological liar, I lied so much that I couldn’t remember the difference between that and the truth, I cheated my way through high-school and J.R. High. But God, He continued to love me. When my life was nothing but rejection of Him, He reached out to me. ”

- my God

- redeemer

- my rock

- fortress

- sent His son for me

- He died for me

- He took someone who didn’t know how to tell the truth, and now allows me to proclaim this truth.

MY ONLY REASONABLE RESPONSE IS WORSHIP

- to Give him my life as an act of worship

- not 20 minutes of song, but my life

since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:28-29

How do I respond?

It should be the most natural thing that you’ve ever done, as you respond to His supernatural goodness.

How do we worship?

- it’s the natural response to a super-natural God

Sometimes I lift my hands

Sometimes I get on my knees

Sometimes I laugh

Sometimes I preach even when I’m sick

IT’s an act of worship

See you’re not the audience, He is, we’ve come to worship Him.

Because…

  • IN VIEW OF WHO GOD IS AND WHAT HE HAS DONE, I BRING AN OFFERING. AND I AM THE OFFERING.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1


We can't wait to continue this series next week as talk about "True Worshippers."

No comments: